Many of our shops and businesses are in the town centre so we want to make it easier to travel to, from and around.. To do this, we need to give more space to walking, cycling and public transport.
QUICKER, SAFER & MORE ATTRACTIVE TOWN
Make it quicker and safer to get into the town centre on foot or by bike
- Making it easier to get across the ring road through new and improved pedestrian and cycle crossings.
Create space for cycling and for buses to move faster
- Seeking funding to improve provision for cycling and buses on both the ring road and Dalton Way.
Make it easy to switch between different types of transport
- Explore the possibility of a sustainable transport hub in the town centre where different types of transport will be available in one place.
ENABLING CAR OWNERSHIP ALTERNATIVES
Provide a more convenient service than the bus for some trips
- Monitoring the use of our on-demand transport service and making sure it is helping people move around the borough.
Create a place where people can see all the choices for their journeys
- Putting the travel options on our Watford smartphone app.
Make it easy to find and switch between different transport types
- Creating hubs around the borough where many transport options can be found in one place.
ENHANCING OUR CURRENT SPACES
Create a more attractive space for people to spend time in
- Continuing to reduce the number of private vehicles allowed on the High Street, following recent improvements.
Make sustainable journeys between the High Street and Bushey Station easier
- Walking and cycling improvements along Lower High Street along with bus priority measures.
Ensure we are making best use of our land in the town centre
- Analysing the use of our car parks and ensuring number of spaces is appropriate for a sustainable travel town, whilst encouraging operators to improve the quality of these.